CELTA Course and Certification
(Certificate in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages)
IH Cape Town is proud to offer the highly recommended Cambridge CELTA course. If you want a professional, internationally recognised qualification in English Language Teaching to adults, this is the course for you. It is a practical, work-related qualification aimed at graduates or other suitably qualified applicants who have little or no previous teaching experience.
CELTA is one of the most widely-recognised and highly respected qualifications for English language teaching. It is awarded by Cambridge ESOL through the University of Cambridge, which ensures quality and high standards. Its international reputation also increases opportunities to teach overseas.
CELTA is the original teacher training course for English Language teachers, and is based on the original International House Certificate which was initially run in London in 1962. Not only will you get to experience all the benefits of the Cambridge CELTA course, but our trainers will bring their wealth of teaching and training experience along to enrich your overall learning journey.
Courses have a minimum of 120 contact hours over four weeks, including:
- supervised lesson planning
- teaching practice (six assessed hours)
- feedback on teaching
- peer observation
- observation of experienced teachers (minimum six hours)
- consultation time.
You will also need to dedicate a minimum of 100 hours for the required reading, research, pre- and post-session tasks, assignments and lesson preparation.
This course is very intensive and requires a full-time commitment. It is not possible or advisable to hold even a part-time job while on the course.
The syllabus consists of five specific topic areas:
- Topic 1 Learners and teachers, and the teaching and learning context
- Topic 2 Language analysis and awareness
- Topic 3 Language skills: reading, listening, speaking and writing
- Topic 4 Planning and resources for different teaching contexts
- Topic 5 Developing teaching skills and professionalism
ASSESSMENT AND CERTIFICATE
(as stated in the CELTA Syllabus and Assessment Guidelines)
- Assessment is continuous and integrated. Continuous means that assessment takes place throughout the course. Integrated means that both assessed components contribute to the overall grade.
- The two components of assessment :
- Component One: Planning and teaching
- Component Two: Classroom-related written assignments
- The Certificate will be awarded to candidates who meet the course requirements and whose performance meets, or exceeds, the criteria in both assessment components. Candidates are ineligible for the award in cases where dishonesty or plagiarism is brought to the attention of Cambridge English.
On successful completion of the course, you will receive the Cambridge certificate and a personalised Final Report from IH Cape Town.
(as stated in the CELTA Administration Handbook 2014)
You should be at least 20 years old at the start of the course and be able to demonstrate that you have an appropriate level of education, experience and abilities that will enable you to take the course, and subsequently take up language teaching.
You should have, as a minimum entry requirement, a standard of education equivalent to that required for entry into higher education.
You will need an awareness of language and be competent in written and spoken English that enables you to follow the course, complete the assignments, and teach English at a range of levels.
2017 COURSE FEES
Course fees include the Cambridge registration fee, tuition and all course materials. Fees do NOT include the cost of a teaching methodology book or grammar books that we recommend you purchase. These books will be available for you to purchase from IH Cape Town.
2017 COURSE DATES
- 26 June to 21 July
- 4 to 29 September
- 13 November to 8 December
2018 COURSE DATES
- 22 January -16 February
- 26 February - 23 March
- 7 May - 1 June
- 25 June - 20 July
- 13 August - 7 September
- 1 October - 26 October
- 5 November - 30 November
2018 PART-TIME COURSE DATES
13 August - 30 November
TEL: +27 21 433 0546 /0548 and/or Email: firstname.lastname@example.org